When someone is considering investing in a solar power system, several questions might arise, such as: How does it work? How much energy is generated? What happens at night? What if the weather is cloudy? After having the answers of all these questions there are two remaining key points, which are:
- How long will it take to recoup the investment?
- What is the estimated lifespan of the solar plant?
Usually, the recoup of the investment in solar plants is estimated within 8 to 11 years. On the other hand, the lifespan of a photovoltaic plant is estimated within 25 to 30 years. That is at least the manufacturers’ guarantee.
Nonetheless, that does not necessarily mean that the panels will be useless after that period of time, but the energy that they generate will be considerably reduced compared to its initial performance. This reduction of energy generation is measured by the annual degradation rate of the panel, which shows the efficiency reduction levels when the panel is converting solar energy into electric energy.
Solar Panel Degradation Per Year
The degradation rates depend on the panels manufacturers. According to the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) the degradation in premium quality panels is estimated at a rate of 0.3% per year. There are some brands that have higher rates (0.8%), but their average degradation rate is of 0.5%.
¿Como puedo alargar la vida útil de mis paneles?
Al igual que un auto, los paneles solares requieren de ciertos cuidados y mantenimientos para que se desempeñen de la mejor forma, y para tu fortuna, ¡esto puede ser muy simple!. Sigue los siguientes tres consejos:
- Find a good supplier for the installation and the maintenance of your solar plant. A good service supplier is just as vital for your solar plant as it is a reliable car mechanic or a great plumber who is always there to help you when you need him! Besides paying the proper value for the service you will be able to fix any problems that might arise.
- Always keep your solar plant clean and free of things such as dust, pollen, soil or bird feces. If you keep your solar panels clean, they will work at their highest levels and will supply all the energy they can possibly generate. Therefore, you will save more money on a monthly basis. Not only that, but your solar panels won’t suffer from degradation caused by hot Spots and their lifespan will improve.
- Make sure you have a monitoring system and a regular maintenance of your solar panels. Having a monitoring system means that your supplier will know if your solar plant is not working well or if it needs maintenance due to dust or any other issue.
The SolarTracker system provides an intelligent monitoring system that will let you and your supplier know if your solar panel is damaged, giving you a diagnosis and an optimal maintenance plan. The diagnosis given by the system is obtained from its deep understanding of your solar panels and inverters, and from historical and coming weeks environmental conditions. For more information click HERE and contact us!.